Japan has visa exemption agreements with 68 countries. Travelers from several countries in Latin America, Africa, and Asia as well as many former Soviet Union nations are required to obtain a visa to Japan. There are a few entry requirements to Japan that must be considered when planning a trip to the country.
Japan Tourist visa requirements
Foreign visitors who need a visa to travel to Japan must meet the following Japan tourist visa requirements.
- A valid passport with at least 6 months validity and 2 blank pages
- A completed and signed visa application form
- A recent photograph, size 4.5 x 4.5 cm, in color and with a white background
- An official birth certificate or a certified copy
- If the traveler is married, it is necessary to submit a marriage certificate issued within one year
- Schedule and travel plans in Japan
Visitors who are required to apply for a Japan visa should verify that they meet all the necessary requirements. It is essential to have a valid passport and complete the visa application form with the details exactly as they are on the passport.
Japan entry requirements for citizens from visa exempt countries require that travelers carry a passport, valid for at least for the proposed duration of their stay.
Other requirements to visit Japan
There are some additional Japan visa requirements that foreign travelers need to take into account when submitting their application at a Japanese mission.
Some travelers have a sponsor or guarantor that will support the Japan visa application. A sponsor is a person that, under the visa conditions, will cover the expenses of the person applying for a visa.
If the traveler does not have a sponsor or guarantor for their trip to Japan it is necessary to demonstrate that they can cover the expenses of their stay. In order to do this, it is necessary to submit the following:
- Bank certificate, issued within the last 3 months
- Applicant’s income tax return
In the case that the traveler has a sponsor or guarantor it is necessary to provide:
- Guarantee letter where the relation between the traveler and the sponsor is explained, and the details of the sponsor or guarantor must be included
- Proof of relationship with guarantor
- Bank certificated and income tax return of the sponsor/guarantor