For years now Japan has been considered a top-notch tourist destination for people from different backgrounds and nationalities. This is why it comes as no surprise that the island country hosted more than 30 million tourists over the course of 2019.
More recently, with the conclusion of one of the nation’s largest tourism events in 2020, the Winter Olympic Games held in Tokyo, Japanese tourism officials will be completing an update to their visa acquisition system known as a Japanese eVisa.
Citizens from countries all over the world, including Colombia, will soon be able to apply for a Japanese electronic visa, a process that can be completed from the comfort of their home.
This renewed system, which will come into effect in April 2020, will ease the process to receive permission to visit Japan for Colombian citizens, and it will add an extra layer of protection for Japanese authorities.
If you are a Colombian citizen planning to travel to Japan, please continue reading to find out know to obtain a travel authorization.
Do Colombian Passport Holders Need a Visa to Visit Japan?
Not all travelers can enter Japan without a visa. The country has set a list of eligible visa-free countries that can travel to the island nation without having to apply for a travel permit. For the rest of the nations, it is mandatory to go through the application process involved when requesting a Japan visa.
In the specific case of Colombia, its nationals are required to obtain a visa prior to their arrivals. Therefore, each traveler who is planning on setting foot in Japan from Colombia must have their own visa.
There are a variety of visa options the Japanese government offers to citizens from Colombia. However, it is necessary to know their specific characteristics to find out which visa best suits each applicant’s needs.
Japanese Visa Types for Colombian Nationals
Depending on a number of factors such as the intended itinerary and reasons for staying in Japan, Colombian passport holders will be able to apply for various Japanese visa types.
Japanese Short-Term Visa Options from Colombia
The most common visa type is the Japanese tourist eVisa, which allows travelers for a stay of up to 90 days inside of Japan on either a single- or double-entry visa. This tourist visa is appropriate for Colombians traveling for tourism, leisure, to visit family, and for short business dealings.
The Japanese business visa is meant for individuals who are in Japan solely for business purposes. This visa can be issued as a single or double entry. Please be advised applicants must meet very specific conditions in order to obtain this business visa since not all profiles are eligible. For more information, travelers can contact their nearest Japanese embassy or consulate.
Finally, the Japanese transit visa is suited for those individuals who are landing in Japan on a layover and do not have any intention of visiting the country. Important: this Japanese visa does not allow travelers to engage in any tourist activity and/or travels around the country because it is only meant to cover the time spent by passengers in some of Japan’s ports of entry.
Japanese Long-Term Visa Options as Colombian Citizen
If Colombian nationals want to stay for prolonged periods of time in Japanese territory, it would be required for them to apply to one of the following long-term visas:
- The general visa is for Colombian passport holders who have met certain requirements and who are planning on staying in Japan for more than 90 days and as many as three years.
- The working visa is for Colombians who have proof of a job offer to relocate to Japan for work. This option also considers some new opportunities for recently graduated foreign students.
- The diplomatic visa is for persons who are in Japan on official diplomatic business. The duration of the visa is dependent upon the role developed by the Colombian citizen.
- The official visa is granted for various reasons that include but are not limited to business, government, and international relations and aid work. The duration of the visa varies with the specific role.
- The specific visa is for Colombian citizens who are the family member or spouse of Japanese nationals and who can prove their familial ties with the proper documentation. This visa is valid for as many as five years.
How to Apply for a Japan eVisa as Colombian
There are various requirements that each specific visa will ask of Colombian eVisa applicants. These factors are dependent on how long the traveler will stay in Japan and their purpose for visiting.
However, for the most part, each application form will need to be accompanied by the following:
- A Colombian passport with a minimum of two blank passport pages and at least six months of remaining validity
- A recently taken color photograph. It must be passport-sized and digitalized
- A comprehensive itinerary for your time in Japan including hotels and proof of onward travel
- Proof of ability to support themselves (bank statements and income tax documents) throughout their trip if they are not there with the aid of a sponsor or guarantor
- A secondary government document confirming the applicant’s identity. This is typically a marriage certificate or a driver’s license.
- If the traveler is married they must provide a marriage license
In the case of a traveler going to Japan with the aid of a sponsor or guarantor, they must provide the following:
- A letter guaranteeing that the sponsor is capable of financially supporting the traveler throughout the entire time they are in Japan. This letter must detail the relationship between the two citizens
- Documents that support the relationship detailed in the letter
- Financial proof
Colombian travelers can stay up to date on all the latest news and information regarding the Japanese eVisa and tourism in the country in general through our news page.