Japan is often a top destination for both tourism and business travel. Indian citizens who wish to visit Japan require a visa.
The temporary visitor visa grants Indian nationals permission to stay in Japan for up to 90 days. This type of Japan tourist visa is meant for short-term business trips, visits to friends and family, or general tourism in Japan.
The New Japan eVisa for Indian Citizens
There will soon be a new electronic visa (eVisa) for visits to Japan from India. The government of Japan has indicated that they will start rolling this out starting in 2020.
To apply for the Japan eVisa for Indian citizens, travelers will require a valid passport as well as some other supporting documents. No longer will applicants have to visit the Japanese embassy to obtain their application form and apply since the process will be entirely online.
Japan Tourist eVisa requirements from India
The application asks for some personal details, which should be entered exactly as they appear on the passport. The applicant must provide details about their trip, such as dates of travel, the purpose of travel, port of entry, and the travel company (ship or airline) with which the applicant is traveling. Lastly, the application requires details of where the traveler will stay while they are in Japan.
The applicant is also required to answer a series of questions related to any past criminal history or immigration violations.
Japan e-Visa Requirements from India
Applicants should review the list of visa requirements in order to prepare their Japan visa application. If two or more people will be traveling together for the same purpose, they can apply together.
For a typical Japan tourist visa from India, applicants will need to prepare the following items:
- A valid Indian passport, signed, with 2 blank visa pages
- The completed visa application form
- A recent passport-sized photo with a white background
- A recent bank certificate and latest income tax return to prove sufficient funds for the trip
- If someone else will be funding the travel, the sponsor will need to submit additional documents with the application. This includes a letter of guarantee, a document which proves the relationship to the applicant, and a copy of the sponsor’s bank certificate and income tax return
- An itinerary of travel plans in Japan. This should include dates, activities, contact person and accommodation
- A hotel confirmation and flight tickets including a return trip to India
Depending on the type of visa and the situation of the traveler, the application may require additional documents:
- Students must include a parental consent form plus a bank certificate and a copy of parent’s tax return
- Those traveling with a dependent must submit an official document proving the relationship. This can be either a marriage or a birth certificate
- If traveling to Japan on an invitation from a business contact or family member, the person who invited them will need to submit a formal letter
- Visitors traveling to Japan on business need to provide a copy of the business registration and their employment contract
Japan e-Visa Application from India
Before the eVisa is available, Indian travelers will have to download the forms and submit them to an Application Center in India.
The application form is available online as well as in person at the Embassy in New Delhi, or at the Japanese Consulate General locations in Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, or Bengaluru. Of course, once the eVisa is made available, the applicant can go online to submit the Japanese travel visa application.
Japan Visa types for Indian Passport Holders
It is important that the traveler applies for the correct visa type for their intended trip.
The most common visa types issued by Japan are for the purposes of short-term tourism and short-term business travel. However, there are many more visa types depending on the situation of the traveler. Review the different visa types carefully to determine which situation fits most closely with the purpose of visiting Japan.